Have you ever want to start your own website like Wikipedia, do you imagine that? But how is this possible? Have you tried for the answer? This guide is for you. If you read this guide fully, you can able to install, manage your own Wikipedia website.
What is Mediawiki?
Mediawiki is a free and open-source wiki web application. It runs on many websites, including Wikipedia, Wiktionary, and others. MediaWiki wrote in PHP and stored the contents into a database. The software is optimized to efficiently handle large projects, which can have terabytes of content and hundreds of thousands of hits per second.
MediaWiki has more than 900 configuration settings and more than 2,200 extensions for enabling various features. The user can manage with an application for small and also a large amount of content for their website.
Important: If you want to use this tool before you decide and do it yourself. Helphin not supported for any issues and installation.
This helphin guide will teach you to install your own Wikipedia website using MediaWiki application. Come let’s do it for your website.
How to install Own Wikipedia on Linux Hosting Server?
- Download your Mediawiki ZIP on the official website.
- Go to download folder to your computer. Extract the ZIP file.
- Now you need to know about creating a database for this Mediawiki. Find the Guide here for creating a database in cPanel Linux hosting.
- First, we create the database name. If you choose your DB name, click Create Database button.
- Second, we need to create a username, a password for that database management. So choose the username and the password. If it was done, click Create User button.
- Now we add that user to the MediaWiki database for administrator privileges. So Choose your database username and the database name from the drop down list. Finally, click Add button.
- Here click the ALL PRIVILEGES check box, hit Make Changes button in the bottom of the page.
- Now log in your hosting account in FileZilla. Choose your server directory. If you want to run the wiki page in main domain, then you can installed it on the public_html directory. On the left side, navigate your download directory on local PC, select all your files, and then upload to the main directory. Otherwise, create a sub-domain, find the sub-directory under public_html, and then upload it.
Web Configuration Setup
- Now navigate your domain name in the browser. First, we need to configure our wiki website. So click the set up the wiki link.
- Choose your language and click Continue button.
- Note your default upload directory. Now click Continue button.
- Set up your database details. Put your database name, database username, and password. Click Continue button.
- Now choose the Use the same account as for installation option. Select Storage engine as InnoDB and Binary or UTF-8 as the Database character set. Now click Continue button.
- Name your website. Choose your option in Project namespace. Set your username password and Mail id for the administrator account. If you have more knowledge about MediaWiki, choose ‘I’m bored already, just install the wiki’ option. Otherwise, choose ‘Ask me more questions’. Click Continue button.
- In this options page, choose this below one profile for your wiki website. Scroll down for other options.
- Choose your copyright and license for your website.
- Select the email settings and themes, if you were done, scroll down.
- If your website needs some extensions, then choose them on the list.
- End of the page you can see few options about image, file upload permission, logo URL and for object caching. Finally, click Continue button.
- Click Continue button on this page.
- Also, click Continue button on the install page.
- You are all set. Now you can install your MediaWiki on your own Wiki page. But one more step to finish this installation.
LocalSettings.php file is automatically downloaded by your browser.
- Upload this LocalSettings.php file into your main directory on a server through FileZilla FTP application.
you install MediaWiki on the main domain, you must upload this PHP file into a public_html directory. But, if you install this application in your sub-domain, then you can upload the file into a subdirectory under public_html on the server.
- You are all done. MediaWiki installed successfully on your domain. This is the main page of your website. You can also edit this page what you like.
Finally, you learned about how to install your own Wikipedia on your Linux hosting server using MediaWiki PHP application.
If you have a thought, feel free to share with us.